Core functions of the Offshore Division
Deals with Tuna Fisheries and related Fisheries within the 200NM EEZ to ensure the Solomon Islands Government receives maximum economic benefit from Commercial fishing activities at the same time to ensure sustainability of Tuna stock.
The Division comprises of the following sections:
- Enforces fisheries legislations
- Ensures the Fishing Activities are in line with National Fisheries law as well as Regional obligations
- See Vessel Monitoring and Surveillance
- Deals with issuance of licences to fishing companies
- Ensures all fishing operation are in line with national laws and regional obligations
- See Licensing Section
Statistics and Information:
- Responsible for data collection to better inform the MFMR Management.
- See Information and Statistics page
- Collect data onboard fishing vessels; 100% coverage on Purse seiners and 5% on long line fishing vessels.
- Collection of operational tuna data
- Fishing operations are carried out in compliance with fisheries laws of Solomon Islands
- See Observers Programme